ACUCOBOL-GT Intrinsic Functionality Makes Migration to Fujitsu NetCOBOL for .NET Much Easier
GT Software, the distributor of Fujitsu NetCOBOL®, announces additions to the Fujitsu NetCOBOL capabilities for migrating ACUCOBOL-GT™ to NetCOBOL for .NET. These new migration capabilities began with the spring 2016 release of NetCOBOL for .NET v7.0. The most current release of NetCOBOL (v7.2) continues to provide capabilities to make the migration of existing ACUCOBOL-GT applications to NetCOBOL much easier for Micro Focus users.
For users looking to migrate, there are now a number of specific ACUCOBOL-GT intrinsics that work natively in NetCOBOL for .NET. These additions mean less manual conversion of existing applications, allowing customers to quickly take advantage of a COBOL platform where they are not required to pay costly COBOL runtime fees.
In addition, GT Software’s partnership with Flexus means that existing AcuBench customers can use the Flexus SP2 tool for migrating graphically generated AcuBench applications. This combination of reduced effort for migration along with no COBOL runtime fees for either NetCOBOL or Flexus components results in a strong ROI for current ACUCOBOL-GT customers who are looking for different options.
The number of specific ACUCOBOL-GT extensions which are now available with NetCOBOL for .NET include the following:
- C$REGEXP – search a string with regular expressions
- I$IO – native interface for indexed file operations
- R$IO – native interface for relative file operations
- S$IO – native interface for sequential file operations
- ASCII2HEX – convert binary data from ASCII to hexadecimal
- ASCII2OCTAL – convert binary data from ASCII to octal
- HEX2ASCII – convert binary data from hexadecimal to ASCII
- OCTAL2ASCII – convert binary data from octal to ASCII
- C$CHDIR – changes the current directory
- C$COPY – copies a file
- C$DELETE – deletes a file
- C$FILEINFO – gets information for a specified file
- C$LIST_DIRECTORY – lists the contents of a selected directory
- C$MAKEDIR – creates a new folder
- C$SLEEP – temporarily suspends the execution of a program
- C$TOUPPER – converts lowercase text to uppercase
- C$TOLOWER – converts uppercase test to lowercase
- C$F_ERRNO – returns the error codes of file operations
- C$COBFA_ERRNO – gets the error number (cobfa errorno)
- C$COBFA_STAT – gets the I-O status of a file operation
- C$CALLEDBY – returns the file name of the program calling the currently executing program
- C$MYFILE – returns the name of the library of execution file currently executing
- C$RUN – calls other programs
- C$SYSTEM – calls other programs
The COBOL migration process is offered as a conversion service and GT Software and Flexus welcome the opportunity of performing Proof of Concepts for customers interested in replacing ACUCOBOL-GT. Please contact GT Software to learn more.
For more information about Fujitsu NetCOBOL solutions, please visit www.netcobol.com.
About GT Software
Founded in 1982, GT Software’s heritage of application modernization began with the mainframe and now continues through today’s modern technologies. It has always been our mission to help our clients achieve success by extending the value of their IT investments through agile development into the future with an intuitive, robust integration layer that provide standards-based APIs, improve workflow and enhance operational efficiency. More than 2,500 organizations across the globe trust GT Software’s solutions to improve customer experiences, operational efficiency and innovation. For more information, visit www.gtsoftware.com.
GT Software and all other GT Software products and service names are registered trademarks or trademarks of GT Software. All other trademarks or registered trademarks belong to their respective companies. © 2016, GT Software. All rights reserved.